With a few of major purchases on my credit card bill and my insistence on having enough to pay it all off as soon as the monthly statement is issued, I’m going to spend the next few weeks really living on the cheap. I hope to keep busy and broke, while also adequately fed and fulfilling social obligations. Flip a coin; this could be quite easy or it could be very hard.
The key is keeping myself busy enough at no or negligible costs. Here are some examples of what I can do to fill time without swiping a card (or inserting a chip, but that doesn’t have a ring to it):
- Play video games (this opens up a can of worms and is counteractive to my past weekend which I may write about separately)
- Watch things on Netflix, including the rest of season 2 of OITNB
- Write, draw, or edit photos
- Sing as badly as that guy I can hear from my back alley at the very moment of this typing
- Clean (which I have a lot of)
- Listen to podcasts (which I have a lot of)
- Finish projects I took on two years ago (this will cost some money, but I’ve kind of given up and might take the cheapest route possible)
- Hang around the hospital maternity ward for a few hours while my sister goes through the most painful experience of her life
- Go to work (this seems kind of given, but I’m also itching for a bit of a break; however, this will give me more freedom to go out and spend more)
- Lie on the grass outside and read
- Lie on the couch inside and read
- Fall asleep on the couch inside while trying to read
- Yell at motorists
- Find mathematical proof that God does not exist while trying to devise a flat tax system
- Shove crayons up my nose
- Walk 500 miles and then walk 500 more (which by my calculations will take twelve straight days)
- Tweet incessantly
- Post stupid lists like these
- Sleep more, which is what I should be doing right now
Now, the question is – will these things get me to the end of the month? What about to the end of the summer? And perhaps more importantly, why do I feel poorer now than I did a year or two ago when I was earning less money?
These are very mysterious questions. Maybe my flat tax plan will find the answers. Maybe those answers are related to the non-existence of a god.